Kickstarter has been the home to many successful games and now a new title has captured my imagination with it's haunting campaign video; Darkest Dungeon.
Pulled directly from the Red Hook Studios press page;
Red Hook Studios Inc.
Based in Vancouver, Canada
PC, Mac, Linux, plus TBA
Darkest Dungeon is a gothic roguelike RPG dungeon crawler about the psychological stresses of adventuring. You will lead a band of four heroes on a perilous side-scrolling descent, dealing with a prodigious number of threats to their bodily health, and worse, a relentless assault on their mental fortitude! Five hundred feet below the earth you will not only fight unimaginable foes, but famine, disease, and the stress of the ever-encroaching dark. Darkest Dungeon focuses on the humanity and psychological vulnerability of the heroes and asks: What emotional toll does a life of adventure take?
Darkest Dungeon was conceived as an antidote to the loot-piñata RPG experience which focuses solely on a character's numerical capabilities. Squad leaders and sports team managers have to contend with the human factors as they strive to maximize effectiveness--why not in RPGs? Combining this concept with a Lovecraftian-inspired grim setting, the game was born. Full development began in May 2013 after assembling a veteran team which had the artistic ability, system-based game design experience, and technical versatility to deliver a game that would meet the ambitious vision while also being entertaining to play.
- Manage a team of heroes through the physical and mental stresses of adventuring. Try to stop paranoia, greed, anger, depression, and more from crippling the party.
- Affliction System: Make the most of character flaws and strategically construct your party to overcome hardship.
- Innovative turn-based combat with a nostalgic feel
- Striking hand-drawn 2d gothic art style
- Original score by Stuart Chatwood, composer for eight "Prince of Persia" games and founding member of multi-platinum Canadian rock band "The Tea Party."
- Meaningful consequences and permadeath deliver heightened tension and provide for truly heroic moments.
- A Lovecraftian-inspired story of greed, fallen greatness, and redemption.
If you're looking for an adventure in a cruel and unforgiving world and they carry unseen wounds of gruesome battle on their hearts and minds, then consider backing Darkest Dungeon.