Thursday, September 13, 2012

FTL: Faster Than Light - Impressions

When I get home from work, I watch some YouTube videos in what little time I have before I go to class for the night. Usually these videos are of some charismatic YouTube'r playing through a game I never really intend to play with as much dedication as they have, with few exceptions. One of these game commentators that I watch fairly regularly, Northernlion has a tendency to play rouge-like games. And he has brought a new gem for me to look forward to, FTL: Faster Than Light.


FTL! EF YEAH!

I'll get this out of the way first. FTL: Faster Than Light looks like an amazing game to me!

FTL was funded through KickStarter with 2,005% (!) of Subset Games original asking, earning them $200,542 (!!) to create their game.

At first, I thought about writing a great big article to describe how much ass this game kicks and how it will now rule the hour and a half of free time I have every day, but if you watch the video above, you know it's up your alley or not. It's definitely up mine.

The game comes out tomorrow, the 14th of September, on Steam, GOG, and their own site for just $10!

For those who don't know, rouge-likes are games that have randomized levels or interaction, and customization that create a unique game every time the you play through. They usually aren't too long, but combine that with an ever present perma-death in rouge-likes and addictive nature of the games, many people play through them over and over again. Which isn't very likely to happen the first couple of times you play them. These games aren't easy, but they are usually very balanced and fair; you'll know why you died and right away know how to avoid that kind of death later. Games like The Binding of Isaac, Dungeons of Dredmor, and Spelunky are considered rouge-likes and though they have a similar system in place, they are all unique in my opinion. Check them out some time!

Thanks!
-Dave

No comments:

Post a Comment